This page provides an overview of mental health resources and services, with a focus on British Columbia. It is not an exhaustive list, and CMHA BC Division is not responsible for the content of external resources.
Living Life to the Full is suitable for individuals experiencing low mood and mild to moderate symptoms of depression. It is not recommended for people who have been diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Crisis Support – Call 911 or go to your local emergency room.
If you are in crisis and/or distress and require an immediate response, call the Crisis Line at 310-6789 (do not enter 604, 778 or 250 area codes). This free service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with no wait or busy signal. This network links crisis lines across the province to provide mental health information and support to the people of BC. For more information, visit www.crisislines.bc.ca.
If you feel like ending your life, or you are worried about someone else, call the Crisis Centre’s BC-wide Distress Line at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
Mental health information and services in BC
This list is an introduction to some of the mental health and related services and resources in BC. Connect with them to find something that works for you. Remember, you are not alone.
- Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division
CMHA BC Division promotes the mental health of British Columbians and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental health concerns. We do this through public education, services, community-based research and advocacy.
A project of the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information, a group of seven leading mental health and substance use nonprofit agencies, of which CMHA BC Division is a member.
The Red Book Online: Community, social and government services in the Lower Mainland
www.bc211.ca or call 211
- BC Health Authorities
Your health authority can connect you with services in your community
- BC Mental Health & Addiction Services
- Health Link BC
Provides information about health authority services, including mental health and addictions services. Includes detailed information and program listings for a wide range of health issues. By dialing 811, you can speak to a registered nurse, pharmacist or dietitian.
- Problem Gambling Help Line
www.bc211.ca/pghl.html or call 1-888-795-6111
- Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service
www.bc211.ca/adirs2.html or call Lower Mainland: 604-660-9382, BC: 1-800-663-1441
- Centre for Addictions Research of BC, University of Victoria
- Anxiety Disorders Association of British Columbia (AnxietyBC)
Child and Youth
- Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre
- The FORCE Society for Kids’ Mental Health
- Jessie’s Legacy, a program of Family Services of the North Shore
- Mood Disorders Association of British Columbia (MDA)
- British Columbia Schizophrenia Society (BCSS)
Mental health information and services in Canada
For more information on mental health resources in your community, contact:
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada
- Mood Disorders Society of Canada
- Schizophrenia Society of Canada
Mental health resources in other languages
- Multicultural Mental Health Resource Centre
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Beyond Blue